I’ve been quiet of late. No real reason, at least no more than just life in general. So I figured a quick update is probably in order.
I’ve missed two release schedules. I intended to release a patch every quarter, around the solstice and equinox. Well, I missed the Autumn Equinox release for no other reason than I hadn’t done anything. So I bumped it to a Winter Solstice release… and well… you’ve probably noticed the lack of a release. This means that it will now be bumped to the Vernal Equinox. I’ll try and get on this one… please bear with me…
There will be two Doomdark’s Revenge bug fixes in the release that have already been fixed.
- DDR – Night processing hangs because of circular lieges
- DDR – Strongholds don’t change Occupier if the race is the same
There are currently three features marked for inclusion.
- DDR – Obigrorn the Giant starts with Riders
- LOM: Gameplay Rule – Varied start positions
- DDR: Gameplay Rule – Intended original terrain travel times
The first one is interesting as it was reported as a bug, but as far as I can see it is actually a problem in the original data. So yes, it is a bug, but one from the original release. I have no issue fixing this as I don’t think it will really have much affect on gameplay.
One other feature that was tentatively going to be in the next release was
Game Difficulty – Easy / Medium / Hard
The reason for the tentative status was purely because it needed more thought than what I added on the ticket, but ultimately I need to start somewhere with it.
Anyway, that’s what I’ve not been doing for the last 6 months…
Good to see an update!
Have a great christmas.
Glad it’s still moving onwards.
Anything happening regards The Citadel, or dare I say, Eye of the Moon?
Hi Chris. and thank you for your consistent hard and effective work on Revenge. Do you mind if I mention an instace Ive encountered several times lately about Items?
2. I still have to search everyon every single move because very few items show up automatically, as they always did in the MIke’s origignal version which took an enduring hold of me. Midnight and Revenge are still my two favourite games, I think they always will be . . . . there’s something utterly timeless about them. I know that you must find it hard to keep on working on them but I for one beg you to persevere, your hard work has given me back my favourite games,
2. Regarding weapons. The categories are limited to particular weapons as f you will remember:
Barbarians . . . . . Spears
Fey . . . . . . . . . . .. Bows
dwarves . . . . . . . . Axes
Giants . . . . . . . . . .Hammers
Icelords . . . . . . . . Swords
latelty I ‘ ve benn told at towers that a barbarians sword is at this ort that place,
aans once the an Icelord’s spear was at so ans so.
My main (mild) frustration is having to check every location at every move for Items in my last game I had to search every square of the Plains of Varildriel for the crown of Varenand from N. to S. E toW. THEN W. TO E. AND FINALLY S. TO N. FIND THE CROW WHERE I HAD PREVIOUSLY SEARCHRD, ONLY AFTER SOME HOURS OF FRUITLESS SEARCHING. i DON’T LIKE ABANDONING ANY GAME, BUT i NARLY GAV UP ON THIS GAME.
INSTNAT ITEM IENTIFICATION SEEMS NECESSARY BECAUS OF THE ACCURATE TARGETING BY CHARACTERS SPECIFIED ENEMIES AND THE NEED TO LOCATE THE cROWNS OF VARENAND, IMIRIEL, AND CARUDRIUM, AS WELL AS THE RUNES OF FINORN, AND THE SPELL OF THIGRORN (ALL NEEED FOR HE COMPLETELY TRIUMPHANT VICTORY. HAVING TO SEARCH ON EVERY MOVE ROBS FROM THE “NEED FOR HASTE” OF THE GAME LESSINING IT’S EXCITEMENT.
PLEASE DON’T BE OFFENDED OR DISHEARTENED NY THESE REMARKS CHRIS. THEY’RE ONLY INFORMATONL INTHE HOP OF HELPING YOU.
I’m deeply and truly gratefuls for you courage and dedication, as I’m certain Mike would be. All the very best for Christmas and the New year may God Bless, keep guard guide and rosperr you in all thing at every moment of your life >
walt. (walter plews)
I’m not sure that I understand the problem.
1. Are you saying that “searching” at towers is not telling you info about the artefacts? I don’t know what you mean by “items showing up automatically”
2. I don’t recall there being any limit on who can carry any particular object. Some characters will look for “their” object dependent on what their current orders/goals are. But ultimately objects just get picked up and dropped randomly as characters walk around the map.
If I can understand the issue a little better, I can try and find out if there is a problem that needs fixing.
Looking forward most to the difficulty level updates … I am still playing both games ova and ova on my old C64 and New S22…Just need more of a challenge with them now 🙂
Keep it going Chris , your doing an amazing Job. ?
Thanks for all your work on keeping these games going.
DDR was never as fun as LoM for me because the way the game works, for me, doesn’t make that much sense. My issues are as follows:
– Shareth randomly dying on some distant battlefield.
– Being able to recruit Shareth’s armies just takes all the tension out of everything. Why even bother fighting if you can do that?
– The game never felt as hard as LoM. In LoM you can end up winning or losing everything based on a single battle against the Dark Lord’s hordes at Shimeril or Xajorkith. There is genuine tension as the enemy’s armies roll south.In DDR I just never saw that kind of tension.