Slow development week

I got a new iPad on release day, and I have to say it *is* lovely. The screen is just amazing. Can’t wait to fire LOM up on it, and also I can’t wait to see LOM running with some proper higher res graphics on it. ( BTW: Mike and I have had some discussions with a collective of artists who currently develop on iOS, and it is possible that they will be picking up the reins on the project – more of that in the future )

Anyway, tried to add the new iPad to my develop setup only to be told that I needed a development version of iOS 5.1. So, I did the usual and updated XCode. XCode has been supplied from the Mac App store for a couple of updates now, and Apple took this opportunity to finally change the installation. It used to install to a set of folders inside /Developer but now it installs as a single app inside /Applications.

The knock on affect was that it removed my /Developer folder, which removed the Marmalade SDK. No problems really, I needed to install the latest SDK anyway.
Only, after I did, nothing worked anymore! So not only was I able to target my new iPad, but I was unable to compile and test anything!

I could of course uninstall everything and go back a few versions, but I figured that I would post a support issue on the forums and hope for a quick resolution. Turns out that there was a simple fix, telling the system where the XCode tools now reside using xcode-select. Only it took me until last night to get it actually working.

The knock on affect – no LOM development since last Friday! 🙁

Related Posts:

Lords of Midnight – Lord Select

Screencast of Lords select screen concept demo. Running in the simulator.

This shows grouping.

** Work in progress **
** Placeholder Graphics **

Related Posts:

Lords of Midnight – Video Footage

Ok, sorry it’s taken so long… but here is a bit of video showing the app running on an actual device. Some caveats…

1. this was taken by my daughter using my iPhone, therefore the quality is poor. But then it wasn’t about showing you the graphics! 🙂 – I will try and do a proper one later. But it may just be that screencasts from the simulator will be better in the future.

2. none of this is final. Placeholder graphics, placeholder ui, placeholder placeholders…

3. this is the first time I have run in on the hardware for some time. I have been through a number of Marmalade SDK changes in that time. This was one of the reasons why it has taken so long – I couldn’t get the deploy to work!

Subsequently, there are a couple of issues. The main one that dragging the main view around doesn’t work, thus the default to click on the left and right side of the screen.

Also, the character selection screen was mid working. So all that you could see was dragging one lord around, with his grouping circle on!

Related Posts: